The Sierra was a fearful barrier for travelers between Placerville, California on the west side and a small settlement on the east side called Leeteville. Travelers coming from the east, before negotiating the Sierra, would stop to rest and re-provision themselves at Leeteville, formerly referred to as "Ragtown", the name coming from laundry hanging on nearby bushes to dry. For a time, this was the last settlement on the east side of the Sierra. In 1849, Brigham Young dispatched a party to the area that established a colony known simply as Mormon Station at the very foot of the Sierra. Given the circumstances, it was only natural a trading post would be established along the Humboldt. As time went on and the colony grew, it needed a more identifying name. An Italian settler called it Genoa and the name became permanent. Part of the main section of the original town has been preserved.

Grave of "Snowshoe" Thompson John A. Thompson -- Died May 15, 1876 -- aged 49 years 16 days. A man who carried mail between Genoa and Sacramento, California on skis, for 12 years.

OLD GENOA BAR (behind pickup truck) In 1863, Al Livingston built this building and called it Livingston's Exchange. In 1884 - Frank Fettic bought it and renamed it Fettic's Exchange. He operated it as a "Gentleman's Saloon" allowing no rough stuff or excessive drinking. It subsequently had three more owners until 1963 when Robert Carver purchased it. Now known as the "Old Genoa Bar" it is the oldest continually operating thirst parlor in the State of Nevada. "No Horses Allowed. General Provisions Merchandise Grocery Store is the red building on the right."


SHS65 © 2001 - Webmaster@Surrattsville65.Org